Osteopathy was developed by Dr. Still around 1874. An Osteopathic Manual Therapist (OMT) uses manipulation to assure supply & removal occurs in the body, for the restorative self-healing mechanism to become active again & have a positive effect on disease.
It is concerned with the whole body & uses precise palpation to assess & treat the root of pain & imbalances.
Once Angelika finds the imbalances that may affect the various systems of the body, she uses her understanding of the relationships within the body to treat it using various techniques.
• concerns itself with the whole body
• uses precise palpation to assess & treat the root cause of pain & imbalances
• practitioner listens to the patients' concerns & symptoms
• asymmetries, restrictions, and tissue texture changes are found that affect the various systems of the body
• understanding of the relationships within the body is used to treat the imbalances using various techniques
The classical Osteopathic Manual Therapist is governed by four main principals during the treatment which are as follows:
1. The body is a dynamic unit of function
2. The body is self-healing, self-repairing, self-regulating, and self-defending
3. Structure or anatomy and function or physiology are reciprocally interrelated
4. Rational diagnosis and treatment will consider or is based on the previous three principles
The techniques include: Oscillations, Muscle Energy, Respiratory Assistance, Articulation, Strain Counter Strain, Facilitated Positional Release, Functional Techniques, Cranial-Sacral, Drainage, Visceral Manipulation, the Body Adjustment, etc. Articulations such as ones to the pelvis are important because of the critical role the pelvis and sacrum have in holding the spinal column supported & thus providing a solid foundation on which the whole spine lays on.
Osteopathic treatment works to deliver the body's pharmacopoeia by restoring poor & sluggish circulation of the body's tissues. It works to restore proper body mechanics, nerve impulses, & circulation of the body fluids. This is nature's way of establishing health. It adjusts the relationship of all of the structures of the body. This in turn balances the body's systems of communication, defense & repair and gives the body a fighting chance against illness of all kinds.
Benefits of Osteopathy:
Decreases Pains & Strains: low back pain, neck pain, frozen shoulder, hip & knee pain
Helps relieve pain from Traumas: falls, motor vehicle & work accidents, & sports injuries
Other conditions treated: headaches & migraines, TMJ pain, & tendinitis
Obstetrics: Infertility, preconception preparation, during conception decreases symptoms like swelling or sacroiliac pain, & post conception symptoms
Treats Head injuries: decreases symptoms from concussions, endocranial spasms, & trauma-related head injuries
Osteopathy can help a wide variety of issues affecting children, adults, and seniors.
What to Expect During your Visit:
1. Please come in 15 mins before your scheduled appointment to fill out a detailed health history - A thorough health survey is taken, listening to your chief complaint, any health issues & other medical interventions received (please bring in any diagnostic studies done previously, even if unrelated to your chief complaint). The initial visit takes 1 hour. One hour and a half appointments are available that include a half hour of treatment after the 1 hour initial appointment.
2. An Osteopathic physical examination is performed - ruling out any major health concerns & ensuring a safe treatment can be provided. Other areas of the body are assessed that may be related to the primary complaint.
3. Implementation of a treatment plan - a treatment plan is devised.
4. Treatment - the treatment plan is undertaken to help reduce or eliminate your symptoms.
5. Recommendations - you will be provided with self-care information (and links to videos for demos and elaboration on this information).
A Brief Introduction to Osteopathy (2012). The Ontario Osteopathic Association: Hamilton, ON.
Back Pain? Tendinitis? Chronic Headache? Osteopathy Can Provide Relief? (2011). Canadian School of Osteopathy: Toronto.
History of Osteopathy (2005). Jolandos.
Osteopathy, A Model of Holistic Health Care (2003). The Journal of Soft Tissue Manipulation.
Osteopathy (2011), CAOOHHS: Hamilton, On.
Factors Which Contribute to the Development of Disease
Genetics is believed to be a factor in disease. However, this does not mean that an individual is destined to develop a given disease.
Diet is an important factor in the development of a disease. Without the balance of nutrients or a diet chosen which best supports the homeostatic mechanics of the individual, it can allow a disease to be initiated, promoted, and maintained.
Exercise is also an important factor in disease. Inactivity has been linked to the development of many diseases, particularly those of cardiovascular origin.
Emotions are linked to the development of disease as well as influencing the recovery from disease. Video about emotions: https://youtu.be/MhLvUGBJ_fI
Profesjonalna ocena stanu fizycznego przez Osteopate
Osteopatia - delikatna reczna manipulacja krągosłupa, czaszki, kości, miesni, stawów i organow wewnetrznych (np. nietrzymaniu moczu). Leczymy migreny, dysfunkcji stawow zuchwy (TMJ), problemach ze spaniem. Po neurologicznyn, ortopedycznym i Osteopatycznyn strukturalnym badaniu sa poszukiwane wszelkie asymetrie, ograniczeńa, zmiany tekstur tkankowych oraz subiektywne skargi pacjenta. Terapia manualna obejmuje: ogolne nastawienie ciała, oscylacja, oddychanie, manipulacja wewnetrznych organow z zewnatz, stawow i tkanek miekkich (np.po stanach nieprzytomnosci, przesunieci watroby, zoladka, lub nerek po wypadkach samochodowych (-w zwiazku z uzyciem pasa bezpieczenstwa).
Przed i poperodowa opieke matki i noworodka
Emocjonalne i stresowe balansowanie
Korekcja wady postawy u dzieci i doroslych
My back is out of alignment due to “jarring” yesterday causing extra tightness in the shoulder blade 2-3/10, & pain in the left gleut. 3/10. I can’t remember how I felt after the last session, but I know I always feel relief right away. After the session with Angelika, I feel better, not so tight. Sore from adjustment, but less pain, now 1/10. Thank you!! So much better than the Chiropractic sessions I had years ago.
Patients biggest concern: legs both cramping 10/10
After session I feel “good”. My biggest concern has been addressed by Angelika & it rates 0/10 now. I’m fine, you’re the only one I know of that does a good job, that’s why I come back.
Before Osteopathy session with Angelika, my right side of the neck & shoulder is 3-4/10. Last session it was uplifting. My energy level increased & pain was less. After this treatment I feel relaxed & light. I like Angelika, how you provide instructions & handle the session.
I feel excellent after the session. Angelika is an Excellent Osteopath.
I felt good after last Osteopathic session. Liver felt ok. No pain just a little puffy. Drinking lemon water every morning. Low-back felt good. Hips felt more balanced-even. I feel great! I feel more relaxed, less tension, everything balanced after the session. I really enjoy these Osteopathic sessions with Angelika. I feel so much better.
My elbow rates 7/10 & neck 4-5/10 before the Osteopathic session with Angelika. Now, I feel great after the session with Angelika. My elbow pain is now 0/10 & neck pain is 1/10. I feel balanced.